Each morning, I greet the Sugar Snaps with a treat, usually an animal cracker. This adds a little spark of excitement to the morning and makes waiting for all their siblings to get ready a little easier. Last week was no different, except that Grandma and Grandpa were visiting so Grandma and I greeted them together. They each received their animal cracker and shouted, “animal!” and “Thank you Mama” or “Thank you Grandma!” Grandma and I noticed that Xayden was looking a little different right after he bit into his animal cracker and immediately sensed something was wrong. I asked him, “are you OK?” with no response and I realized he was choking. I pulled him from his crib and began back blows to no avail and he began turning a greenish blue. It is amazing how fast he changed color. I did some abdominal thrusts and he began breathing again. So did I.
I held Xayden for a really long time and cradled him like a baby in my arms. I did not want to let go. His color slowly changed back to normal though he was a bit lethargic. He was clingy with me for the next several days, shouting ‘Mama!’ and wanting to be beside me. I had an urge to throw away the whole container of animal crackers, but resisted. In hindsight, I know that Xayden was congested and panicked when he could not breathe out of his nose. Normally, he has no problem chewing and swallowing animal crackers, though I still find myself watching him closely as he eats them. I remember when he was so small and fragile. Those memories came flooding back as I cradled him in my arms.
Before the Sugar Snaps were born, I volunteered for the Red Cross and I regularly took the adult and child/infant CPR and first aid courses. We also took one as part of the classes to prepare for the birth of our babies. In scary moments, the information somehow kicks in and you do what you need to do to help the ones you love. If you need a refresher on infant/child choking, check out this article from the Baby Center which includes a good explanation along with visual aids. We have had other minor choking episodes in the past which were resolved more easily than this one. I hope there will be no more choking incidents, though I am glad we have the tools in case we need them. Have you ever needed to help someone who was choking or use CPR? I would love to hear from you. As always, comments are welcome.