Kids are fascinated by their names. Many kids learn to spell their names before any other words. Names give them a sense of identity and activities using their names get their attention.
This post contains affiliate links.
Kindergarten Math Using Their Names:
- Have children break their names into twos or threes plus the remainder if it does not break down evenly and add it up.
- Less or more-Does their first name have more or less letters than their middle or last name?
- They can try adding their first and middle (or last) names together or subtracting the smaller name from the bigger name (as they are not ready for negative numbers yet).
- They can add or subtract the first names of those sitting on their left and right.
- They can add up the letters in their teacher’s name (i.e. Mrs. + Smith = 8)
- You can help them count out the letters by giving them something to line up with the letters of their names, such as rocks, beans or Legos that they can count and put in piles.
- They can clap out the syllables of their names and count them. Then, what is the number of syllables in the first name added to the number of syllables in the last name? Does the first or last name have more syllables?